Re: What is the right way to specify -Wno-format-contains-nul?

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: What is the right way to specify -Wno-format-contains-nul?
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 14:37:43 -0700

On 08/09/12 14:09, Stefano Lattarini wrote:
It seems that AM_PROG_CC

Huh?  There is no such think like 'AM_PROG_CC'.  I guess you mean
AC_PROG_CC.

Yes, thank you.  Wrong forum, too.  (autoconf not automake)

How can -Wall cause the compiler to die?  Have you added -Werror to
$(AM_CFLAGS) maybe?

Me?  No.  My clients?  Sometimes.

This would go against the principle that "the user is always right (when
he is explicit)"

Which is the root of the problem:

(Actually, gcc probably ought not override a specifically set option
with a "-Wall", but this the wrong forum for that...)

In that forum, it seems that some folks think that "-Wall" appearing after
"-Wno-some-obscure-warning-thingy" over-rides it, and others think it
nonsensical.  I'm in the latter camp, obviously.  I am explicit in that
this "format-contains-nul" should never have been warned about in the
first place and someone specifying CFLAGS a la:

   ./configure CFLAGS="-Dxxx -Wall -Werror"

ought to work, even given gcc's pickishness about format strings.
And, yes, in this particular case, I'd like to just say any user
turning on that warning is wrong -- whether deliberate or accidentally
with -Wall.  So I'll fix it in GCC and we'll have it fixed in user
space in a few years. :)

Cheers - Bruce