Re: Enforce strict C99 in Autoconf project

From: John X
Subject: Re: Enforce strict C99 in Autoconf project
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 07:25:41 +0200

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 2:58 AM, Paul Eggert <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 05/05/2012 02:49 PM, John X wrote:
>>
>> How should I set up Autoconf in order to make the compiler enforce
>> that?
>

> Autoconf is about making programs more portable.
> In contrast, requiring each builder to use -pedantic would
> make  programs less likely to compile, i.e., it'd make them
> less portable.
>
> I'm not saying it can't be done, just that it's not really
> Autoconf's goal, which is why the topic doesn't come up much
> and why Autoconf doesn't have builtin support for this sort
> of thing.

Thanks for the answer.

It's not that I necessarily want -pedantic, just that it should pick
what is the most strict C99 that the compiler supports and in the case
of gcc it would probably be something like that. But I don't know
which options other compilers like for example clang or icc have in
order to accomplish the same thing, I assume that they may not be
exactly the same.

So in order to keep the program portable I would would like the
compiler to generate warnings when various compiler-specific
extensions is used.

- John