Re: Autoconf distributions and xz dependency

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Autoconf distributions and xz dependency
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 10:30:15 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 2 Mar 2012, Jim Meyering wrote:

If you can demonstrate a portability problem, please provide details.
From what I've heard (distributing xz-only compressed tarballs of
coreutils, grep, diffutils, parted, etc.) there have been no
problems building xz from source on the few systems for which it is not
yet available pre-packaged.

It does not successfully build using GCC on my Solaris 10 system, and not even with the workaround described in the INSTALL file.

Regardless, building xz has certain documented requirements of its build environment (e.g. C'99 compiler and system headers) which can not be satisfied by all systems.

I've heard that an embedded system user had trouble using xz
to decompress because their system had only 32MB of RAM and no swap.
However, even in that extreme case I think they found a work-around.

From what I have heard, even hundreds of MB of RAM may not be
sufficient.

Bob
--