Re: [FYI] {master} maint: assume 'test -x' is portable

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: Re: [FYI] {master} maint: assume 'test -x' is portable
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 14:49:00 -0800

Eric wrote:
> The autoconf manual still recommends:
>
> Do not use @samp{test -x}, because 4.3BSD does not
> have it.
>
> Is this still an issue?  Or should we be updating the autoconf manual?

I remember this biting me within the last ~4 years' time.

I don't know if it's still an issue or not, though, as we might have
places in our codebase where 'test -x' may have crept back in since
then.

If there is an easy way to test for it, I'd rather there was something
like an AC_SANITY macro that would test for these ancient cases and
squawk if the running system botched them.