simple autoconf question

From: Eric Gorr
Subject: simple autoconf question
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 14:28:55 -0500

I am just starting to experiment with build tools like autoconf, etc. and had
what I am sure is a silly/stupid/easy question, but one that I still don't know
the answer to.

I am just trying to write a very simple, "hello, world" configure.ac script
using a AC_DEFUN macro that I wrote to print "hello world". What I have is the
following:

   AC_PREREQ(2.61)
   AC_INIT(autoconf_test, 1.0,address@hidden)

   # EG_MY_MACRO
   # -----------------------------
   AC_DEFUN( [EG_MY_MACRO],
   m4_warn( [all], [hello world] )
   ) # EG_MY_MACRO

   #EG_MY_MACRO

However, when I execute autoconf, I get the following error message:

   ~/depot/autoconf_test $autoconf
   unknown channel all at /usr/bin/../share/autoconf/Autom4te/Channels.pm line
546
       Autom4te::Channels::msg('all', 'configure.ac:8', 'warning: hello world
') called at /usr/bin/autom4te line 1012

and there is no configure script generated.

Furthermore, what prompted this question is one I posted to stackoverflow...if
you know the answer to this, I would be interested.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8578181/using-the-pkg-config-macro-pkg-check-modules-failing

I'm sure this is a fairly simple problem. I have a very simple configure.ac
file which I am using to just learn how autoconf & pkg-config work together.
The confgure.ac file looks like:

   AC_PREREQ(2.61)
   AC_INIT(autoconf_test, 1.0,address@hidden)

   PKG_CHECK_MODULES(libusbmuxd, libusbmuxd >= 0.1.4)

I can then execute autoconf from the command line and it does produce a
configure script. However, when I run the configure script, I get the following
error:

   ./configure: line 1618: syntax error near unexpected token `libusbmuxd,'
   ./configure: line 1618: `PKG_CHECK_MODULES(libusbmuxd, libusbmuxd >= 0.1.4)'

If I use the pkg-config program from the command line to check to see whether
it can find this library, it succeeds.

   /usr/lib/pkgconfig $pkg-config --libs --cflags --modversion libusbmuxd

   1.0.7
   -I/usr/local/Cellar/usbmuxd/1.0.7/include
-L/usr/local/Cellar/usbmuxd/1.0.7/lib -lusbmuxd

So, it seems clear that for some reason the PGK_CHECK_MODULE macro cannot be
located and I am not sure why.

This probably isn't OS specific, but I am using Mac OS X 10.6.8.

Thank you.