Re: configure checks -R and returns errors

From: Patrick Welche
Subject: Re: configure checks -R and returns errors
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 16:17:52 +0000

On Tue, Mar 02, 2010 at 12:26:22PM -0700, Eric Blake wrote:
> According to Vincent Torri on 10/22/2009 11:25 AM:
>
> Hi,
>
> Noticed that this old thread had no takers back when it was first asked...
>
> > configure checks if -R must be followed by a space when checking X. the
> > log is:
> >
> > configure:20215: checking for X
> > configure:20450: result: libraries /usr/X11R6/lib, headers
> > /usr/X11R6/include
> > configure:20472: checking whether -R must be followed by a space
> > configure:20498: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -D_GNU_SOURCE   conftest.c
> > -R/usr/X11R6/lib >&5
> > gcc: unrecognized option `-R/usr/X11R6/lib'
> >
> > same with a space after -R (gcc: unrecognized option `-R')
> >
> > What is strange is that i don't have that myself in my config.log when
> > I'm configuring the same lib.
>
> That sounds more like an issue with different gcc installations than
> something that might be related to an autoconf bug.  But if you ever have
> further details, let us know.  For now, I'm assuming I don't have to do
> anything about this.

I was just wondering about

  http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/current/pkgsrc/x11/gtk3/patches/patch-af

which presumably was added to pkgsrc because someone had the trouble
above. Someone has suggested that -Wl,-rpath,$path would be a
good default as "That's going to work on all ELF platforms and some
non-ELF systems (like AIX)."

Cheers,

Patrick