Re: new triplet for x32 psABI?

From: Mike Frysinger
Subject: Re: new triplet for x32 psABI?
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 00:21:00 -0400

On Tuesday 11 October 2011 22:55:35 Michael LIAO wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 3:34 PM, Mike Frysinger <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Monday, October 03, 2011 18:25:46 Michael LIAO wrote:
> >> The current scheme documented on website
> >> (https://sites.google.com/site/x32abi/) uses the existing triplet but
> >> specify x32 ABI through compiler/linker options. It works for most
> >> compilers aware of that, but how other tools not handling
> >> compiler/linker options knows the current build is targeted on a
> >> different environment?
> >
> > the mips people have been using a single tuple for multiple abis (n32 and
> > n64), and it doesn't appear to have been a blocker for them ...
>
> That's not true, at least to build glibc, you can use
> 'mips64-linux-gnuabi64' to specify a n64 build and
> ''mips64-linux-gnuabin32' for a n32 build without specifying compiler
> option explicitly. I just figured this out from mips ports of glibc
> from
> http://repo.or.cz/w/glibc-ports.git/blob/HEAD:/sysdeps/mips/preconfigure,
> where both compiler option and triplet are checked and triplet is
> preferred if they are not match.

while it is true glibc has this code, it doesn't make my statements incorrect:
a single tuple works just fine with mips for multiple ABIs.  if you look at
other projects like gcc, it doesn't check this field at all.  so you're still
right where you started: you still haven't shown any cases which necessitate a
dedicated tuple.
-mike