Why does mkdir_p use a relative path to install-sh?

From: tsuna
Subject: Why does mkdir_p use a relative path to install-sh?
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 14:47:06 -0700

Hi,
my project includes a shell script where I need to portably create a
new directory.  I added MKDIR_P="@MKDIR_P@" and I get config.status to
do the substitution by listing that script in my AC_CONFIG_FILES.
What I didn't expect is that sometimes the value looks like this:
(from config.log)
mkdir_p='$(top_builddir)/../build-aux/install-sh -c -d'
The issue is that my script is in the build-aux directory itself, so
the relative path is incorrect for that script.
It's kinda curious that it uses a relative path when:
install_sh='$(SHELL) /absolute/path/to/build-aux/install-sh'
It also means I can't install that script during make install, because
it will reference the install-sh from the source tree.

So I was just curious as to why mkdir_p was made to use a relative
path to install-sh.

--
Benoit "tsuna" Sigoure
Software Engineer @ www.StumbleUpon.com