Re: How to enable/disable my debug code?

From: NightStrike
Subject: Re: How to enable/disable my debug code?
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 19:57:02 -0400

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 3:26 PM, Gary V. Vaughan <address@hidden> wrote:

>> How can you have compiler-generic options?  It's not like POSIX says
>> that -O2 is for optimization, -g is for debug, and -D is for a
>> commandline define.
>>
>> Unless I'm completely wrong, and there is in fact some sort of
>> standard for compiler options other than "do whatever gcc does".
>
> For example:
>
>  AM_CPPFLAGS = -I../gnulib -I../libltdl
>  AM_LDFLAGS = -L../libltdl @LIBTHREAD@
>
> As in things that need to be there for your project to build, even if
> the user passes flags of their own at make time.

My point was just that there's nothing that forces every compiler to
make "-I<dir>" the way to set the include path.  It happens to be that
way for a few popular ones like icc because people generally just do
what GCC does.  But nothing stops someone from making a compiler where
it uses lowercase i, for instance.  These options HAVE to be compiler
specific.

>> Consider, though, using cl.exe in an msys environment.  That uses /
>> instead of - for switches, for instance.
>

> I would be quite surprised if more that a very few Autotools using
> projects compiled in that environment out of the box.

I'm trying to make that work, actually.  It's very hard.