PKG_CHECK_MODULES not working in Solaris

From: Kaushik BV
Subject: PKG_CHECK_MODULES not working in Solaris
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 14:09:27 +0530

Hi all,

I am a newbie w.r.t to auto-tools. Searched for an answer in the list was
not able to find one, please direct me to the right list if the following
question is not appropriate.

 My project requires dependency of `libxml2` am using autotools to check the
dependencies & install the same. I declare the dependency of using the
following macro in configure.ac

    echo -n "checking if libxml2 is present... "

    PKG_CHECK_MODULES([LIBXML2], [libxml-2.0 >= 2.6.19],
                  [echo "yes (features requiring libxml2 enabled)"
 AC_DEFINE(HAVE_LIB_XML, 1,     [define if libxml2 is present])],
                  [echo "no"] )

The macro works as desired in `GNU/Linux`.

But somehow it fails in `Solaris` with the following error

    checking if libxml2 is present... ./configure: line 11586: syntax error
near unexpected token `LIBXML2,'
    ./configure: line 11586: `PKG_CHECK_MODULES(LIBXML2, libxml-2.0 >=
2.6.19,'

Googled for a solution, most of them complain of `pkg-config` not being
installed. But in my test machine its actually installed, checked it by
executing the following command.

    bash-3.00# pkg-config libxml-2.0 --modversion
    2.6.23

Some suggestions would be welcomed.