Re: System files and "make distcheck"

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: System files and "make distcheck"
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 08:48:16 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011, address@hidden wrote:

It looks as if the standard GNU installation method would require
every user to run ./configure --sysconfdir=/etc, whereas most would
just try the usual ./configure && make.  Given the choice between
a convenient installation for the user, and a working distcheck, I
think I'll have to take the convenient installation.

Packages which write into system directories without being specifically requested to are downright frightful. It totally violates the trust that a package won't do anything "bad" at time of 'make install' as the root user. If packages start doing this, then it is necessary to thoroughly inspect 'make -n install' output to make sure that the package is not voilating the rules. Users put a lot of trust into open source packages that they don't violate these rules. I don't recommend that a package install any files other than under the specified prefix (which should always be /usr/local by default) , or specified directories.

It seems to me that the package should be fixed to accept configuration files from elsewhere (e.g. $PREFIX/usr/etc).

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn