Re: working and AUX dirs while running configure

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: working and AUX dirs while running configure
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 17:06:09 -0600

On 06/20/2011 04:26 PM, Harlan Stenn wrote:
> I have the need (or at least a strong desire) to run config.guess (and
> therefore config.sub) from some scripts that I invoke from inside
> 'configure'.
>
> I'm noticing that the "current directory" seems to be the srcdir if I
> put this code just after "common initial stuff", and in the builddir if
> I put this code a bit later.

How have you come to this conclusion?  By default, running
path/to/configure does not change directories during the configure run,
unless you added a chdir call somewhere in your configure.ac snippets,
so it might help to post a minimal configure.ac that demonstrates the
problem you seem to be observing.

> Regardless, the PATH does not contain AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR, and I even if
> it did, that path is generally "not rooted" so it's not all that easy to
> use because it is srcdir-relative and depending on where I am in
> 'configure', I may be in the srcdir and I may be in the builddir.

You are always in the builddir during 'configure' - the whole point of
running path/to/configure is to configure the current working directory
as a builddir in relation to path/to/ where configure resides.
Meanwhile, $(srcdir)/build-aux/config.guess should always be a working
means of invoking auxiliary scripts during configure, assuming that you
used AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR to set up build-aux as the location for
config.guess and friends.

> I'm also aware that some folks may have shell RC files that will re-set
> the PATH when a subshell is spawned, which makes this all even trickier.
>
> I'm looking for a good solution here.

It's hard to know what else to suggest without first seeing what you
have tried.

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-801-349-2682