Re: how do distribute automake free code?

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: how do distribute automake free code?
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 13:53:40 -0600

On 06/20/2011 10:50 AM, Jim Edwards wrote:
> As I understand it, I should be able to bootstrap on a single system, check
> in the resulting configure and Makefile.in files then on other systems
> I should only need to run configure.

That's not my understanding.

Rather, you should be able to bootstrap on a single system, check in ALL
source files used to perform the bootstrap process (including the
Makefile.am that you used to bootstrap), then on other systems you can
run configure without having to re-run automake.  That is, the end user
need not have all the tools present, but _does_ need access to the same
source files as the developer (who _did_ have all the right tools), as
well as the intermediate files that the developer's bootstrap process
added into the mix.

>   But this doesn't seem to be working,
> I get something like ...
>
> cd . && /bin/sh /ptmp/jedwards/glimmer-cism/gc2_trunk/missing --run
> aclocal-1.10

That's working as designed.  It says that _if_ automake is installed,
then use it to bring the dependencies up to date, and if it is not
present, then continue on with the build as if the timestamps had
already been updated correctly.  It is not a hard-and-fast dependency on
automake, but _does_ imply that your tarball includes the 'missing'
script (which should have been placed into your tarball automatically
during your bootstrap process).

Meanwhile, this is the autoconf list; but your question is about
automake.  You may get better answers by asking on the automake list.

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-801-349-2682