Re: Do not use deprecation flags in releases

From: Marko Lindqvist
Subject: Re: Do not use deprecation flags in releases
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 22:21:30 +0300

2011/6/20 Eric Blake <address@hidden>:
> On 06/19/2011 04:55 PM, Javier Jardón wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm looking for the best solution to deal with the deprecation flags
>> for Glib/GTK+.
>> Most project use them incodiotionally, so releases will break if a in
>> Glib/GTK+ deprecation is introduced.

 I think most projectrs do not use them at all. :-)

 In fact, I have intentionally left them out from configures of all
the packages I maintain. gtk+ deprecation usually happens at the same
time than new way to achieve something is introduced. So by fixing
deprecations you at the same time make that version of gtk+ minimum
requirement for your package. Usually some backward compatibility is
prefered over code that uses no gtk+ features that have been
deprecated in latest version.

 I ever set deprecation flags only when I have specifically set up
environment with our minimum gtk+ requirement. Anything that's
deprecated in that gtk+ version already, can (and should) be fixed. To
make those rare builds there's hardly need for specific support in
configure script, setting CFLAGS is enough.

 - ML