Re: upc (Unified Parallel C) support in automake (was: Re: AM_PROG_UPC)

From: Too, Justin A.
Subject: Re: upc (Unified Parallel C) support in automake (was: Re: AM_PROG_UPC)
Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 12:18:34 -0700

Hi Stefano

On 4/30/11 1:10 PM, "Stefano Lattarini" <address@hidden>
wrote:

>[adding automake and bug-automake lists]
>[follow-ups might drop autoconf list IMHO]
>[Reference:
><http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf/2011-04/msg00072.html>]
>
>Hello Justin and Ralf, and sorry for the delay.
>
>On Saturday 30 April 2011, Justin  wrote:

>>in

>> >Yes.
>> >
>No, it's not (well, it shouldn't be).  It is defined in the file
>`upc.m4' provided by automake.  Thus the failure above, if not due
>to some misconfiguration or user error, is an automake bug.

Sorry, the problem was not critical.  It turns out that my system
installation of Automake is 1.9, but /usr/share/aclocal/upc.m4 did not
exist.  I've got 'upc.m4' in place now so it seems to make it pass
'aclocal' and 'automake' now.

I've got another somewhat related issue, and that is: how can I
conditionally use the macro AM_PROG_UPC?  Most users won't have UPC in
their path so I'd like to only check for UPC if the user configures
explicitly with UPC.  If I wrap the macro call like so:

if test "xwith_upc" = "xyes" ; then
    AM_PROG_UPC
fi

I get "configure: error: conditional "am__fastdepUPC" was never defined.
Usually this means the macro was only invoked conditionally.".   In the
configure script, it looks like UPC-related code is generated outside of
my if..fi block in addition to inside of the block.

Thanks for the advise,
Justin