AC_CHECK_LIB for X11 libraries

From: imacky
Subject: AC_CHECK_LIB for X11 libraries
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 15:52:07 -0700 (PDT)

I'm using autoconf 2.65.  My configure script (which works fine under Ubuntu
10.04) does not work on an older SuSE system.  Here's the problem bit in my
.ac:

AC_CHECK_LIB([Xext], [XShmAttach],
        [HAS_LIBXEXT=1;
         AC_DEFINE([HAVE_XSHM], 1,
                [Define to 1 if you have the `Xext' library (-Xext)
providing
                 the MIT Shared Memory Extension (SHM), for
double-buffering])],
        [HAS_LIBXEXT=0])

X11 is installed in /usr/X11R6/lib etc on this SuSE, one of the older
standard locations; the AC_PATH_X documentation says "...configure looks for
the files in several directories where they often reside", but it does NOT
look in  /usr/X11R6/lib.  I can satisfy AC_PATH_X by specifying
--x-libraries manually, but that does me no good with the above snippet
since AC_CHECK_LIB doesn't honor --x-libraries, or even know if a given
library is part of X or not.

So....how is this supposed to work??

The whole point of using autoconf is to spare the end-user the need to
configure manually (obviously), so AC_PATH_X not finding X11 is a definite
bummer.

Thanks to any and all help.  This is my first time using autotools.

--ian