Macro for compile, run, and return output

From: Lyle Brooks
Subject: Macro for compile, run, and return output
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 11:51:27 -0500

I am relatively new to the use of autoconf.

I have been attempting to copy and modify a macro for a
new library.  I was looking at ax_lib_oracle_oci.m4  and
ax_lib_xerces.m4 as the basis for a start.

What I'd like to do is obtain the library version info for
this new shared library.

The above macros get the library version info by parsing header
files.  With the library I am using, the version information is
obtained via a function call.

Is there a "best practice" way of compiling a short piece of code,
running it, and then getting the output back into the configure
variables?

If so, could someone point me to an existing macro or project that
does this?

Thank you.

Lyle