ac_configure_args

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: ac_configure_args
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 11:51:04 -0400

how do I get access to all the configure arguments?

my setup is as follows:
configure (generated from configure.in) generated shell script makemake from makemake.in:
AC_CONFIG_FILES([makemake],[
  echo "#!$SHELL" > makemake.tmp
  echo "# Generated from makemake.in by configure using:" >> makemake.tmp
  echo "CONFIG_SHELL=$SHELL" >> makemake.tmp
  cat makemake >> makemake.tmp
  mv makemake.tmp makemake
  chmod a+x makemake
])

makemake writes Makefile which may call configure on subdirectories.
the reason I do not use AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS is that I do not want to configure all the subdirs when I configure the core and the selection of the subdirs to be configured can be changed at make time.

so, I want to know all the "--build", "--host" &c args passed to the top level configure script in the makemake script (so that they are passed correctly to the subdir configures).
I am thinking about replacing "cat" above with

sed "s,@module_configure_flags@,$ac_configure_args," makemake >> makemake.tmp

is this a legitimate approach?

also, it would be nice if autoconf offered such substitution automatically.

thanks
Sam.