Re: nodist_BUILT_SOURCES?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: nodist_BUILT_SOURCES?
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 20:10:39 +0200

Hello Monty,

first of all, let's ditch the cross-post, this is an Automake question
(and the interested readers read both lists anyway).

* Monty Taylor wrote on Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 07:42:13PM CEST:
> How would I accomplish something like what's in the subject? I have a
> source file that wants to be built before other files - so including it
> in BUILT_SOURCES does the right thing, but I do _not_ want to have it
> included in the dist tarball.

What makes you think BUILT_SOURCES end up being put in the dist tarball?
Just listing something there does not do that, so it must be something
else in your Makefile.am.

Please show it, or better, a small reproducible example, and we'll be
able to quickly spot the issue here.

> While we're at it - this whole thing is to get expanded values of
> autoconf directories into a header file where I can consume them...
> which because they contain nested variables
> (localstatedir=${prefix}/var}) I seemingly have to do at make time. The
> dist problem above could be solved if anybody knows a decent trick to
> fully expand those variables at configure time... I've tried many
> combinations of eval and quoting - but nothing seems to do what I'm
> trying to do.

OK, well, I'm still clueless as to what you're doing, so I can recommend
  info Autoconf "Defining Directories"

and showing us what you got.  Please don't send generated files, and
please only to one list, and please pack large files with gzip.

Thanks,