AC_CHECK_LIB not finding my library

From: Joel J. Adamson
Subject: AC_CHECK_LIB not finding my library
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 12:50:41 -0400

Hello,

I have an auto-tooled library installed, and I'm building an application
with it.  During the ./configure step, the test specified by

AC_CHECK_LIB([haploid], [rec_mating],,,[-lm])

fails:

checking for rec_mating in -lhaploid... no

Haploid is my library, and and rec_mating is one of its functions.  The
library only depends on the math library (which is successfully found).

I have read the documentation and (think) I understand how this test
works, but do I need to specify a specific kind of function?  What's the
trick?

Thanks,

Joel

gcc (GCC) 4.4.3 20100127 (Red Hat 4.4.3-4)
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.63
--
Joel J. Adamson
Servedio Lab