Re: how to handle new subdirectories?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: how to handle new subdirectories?
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 07:33:15 +0100

Hello Steffen,

* Steffen Dettmer wrote on Tue, Mar 02, 2010 at 04:25:50PM CET:
> how to handle new subdirectories?
>
> 1) new automake but no new autoconf directories:
>
> For new subdirectories with new Makefile.am autoconf/automake
> fails because Makefile.in seems not to be created automatically,

I'm not sure I understand.  The normal way to add a new directory is to
add
  AC_CONFIG_FILES([dir/Makefile])

to configure.ac, write dir/Makefile.am, and add something like
  SUBDIRS += dir

to a Makefile.am above dir (or sub/../dir if more than one level above).
Then, unless you have maintainer-mode turned off, just run 'make'.[1]

Which part of this does not work for you, or which part is it that you
would like to make easier for the developer?

BTW, mentioning that 'dir' directory name literally in configure.ac is
important for automake to enable rebuilding rules, see 'info Automake
Requirements'.

> 2) new autoconf directories:

I'd like to understand your use case in (1) first.