Re: Forcing FC instead of F77

From: Steven G. Johnson
Subject: Re: Forcing FC instead of F77
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 18:35:46 -0500

Daily, Jeff A wrote:
I thought I was forced to use AC_PROG_F77 since when I used AC_PROG_FC instead, I was
issued the warning "Fortran 77 source seen but 'F77' is undefined".  I was
hoping AC_FC_SRCEXT([f]) would help, but I didn't get my hopes up and validated it didn't
work as hoped.  Yes, it is technically Fortran 77 source, but why can't I use AC_PROG_FC
in lieu of AC_PROG_F77 without complaints?

Note that this is an automake problem, not an autoconf problem.

(I agree that AC_FC_SRCEXT(f) should be used by automake as an indication to use FC for .f files rather than F77; I suggested this on the automake list back in 2005, but perhaps the suggestion should be repeated.)

Regards,
Steven G. Johnson