Re: flag issue in AC_PROG_CXX for Sun Studio

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: flag issue in AC_PROG_CXX for Sun Studio
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 19:41:02 -0700

According to Bob Friesenhahn on 2/25/2010 7:03 PM:
> On Thu, 25 Feb 2010, Eric Blake wrote:
>
>> According to Monty Taylor on 7/30/2009 1:28 PM:
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> The ever helpful setting of -g into CXXFLAGS by AC_PROG_CXX is incorrect
>>> on Sun Studio (IMHO). Currently, the test checks for Sun Studio compiler
>>> and, if so, injects -g. The problem is, -g on Sun Studio means "include
>>> symbols _AND_ disable inlining" The appropriate flag that's similar to
>>> -g on GCC is -g0. (Thanks Sun Studio, for being weird)
>>
>> Revisiting an old thread.  Thanks for the report; any suggestions on how
>> to fix it before the release of autoconf 2.66?
>
> Note that this weirdness only applies to the C++ compiler.  I don't
> believe that the C compiler will accept it.

Thankfully, CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS are separate variables.  So it sounds like
all we have to do is teach AC_PROG_CXX to decide if this is the Sun C++
compiler, and if so, use -g0 instead of -g. But I don't have quick access
to the Sun compiler, to write a reliable test for deciding between the two
ideas, so I'm relying on some help on that front.

Eric Blake             address@hidden