How can I check if C++ and Fortran compiler works ?

From: Dr. David Kirkby
Subject: How can I check if C++ and Fortran compiler works ?
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 22:53:05 +0000

When I run a configure script I see this:

checking for gcc... gcc

but when it checks for g++ I see:

checking for g++... g++
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking dependency style of g++... gcc3

There is no actual test that the C++ compiler works. How can I add one? Currently in configure.ac I have these bits. (Obviously there is other stuff too, but

AC_CANONICAL_BUILD
AC_CANONICAL_HOST

#---------------------------------------------------------
#       C/C++/Fortran compilers

# First check for programs we need.
AC_LANG(C)
AC_LANG(C++)
AC_PROG_CC()
AC_PROG_CXX()
AC_PROG_CPP

I've noticed a bug report on the Sage mailing list

http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel/browse_thread/thread/8030b427d6098ff2#

which looks to be that someone has g++ installed, but it does not actually work. My configure.ac script checks that there is not a mix of GNU and non-GNU compilers (for Solaris, HP-UX, AIX etc), and somehow my script is broken as it reports he has a mix of GNU and non-GNU compilers. In fact, I think his C++ compiler is probably broken, though I don't know for sure. But I don't have any test for it.

Dave