Re: portability of 'printf' command

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: portability of 'printf' command
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 14:06:12 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010, Thomas Dickey wrote:
I am not able to find any. However, the behavior of printf surely changes over time as standards move forward.

SunOS didn't have one (I don't see it in the manpages, at any rate).

I did check SunOS 5.6 (Solaris 2.6) and it does have one. SunOS 4 probably didn't have printf.

Even those of us with failing memories will recall that on some systems (probably including older Solaris), the printf was liable to drop core at the slightest inclination.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn