Re: overriding autoconf macros

From: Peter Johansson
Subject: Re: overriding autoconf macros
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 19:58:53 -0500

Hi Diego,

On 1/16/10 2:05 PM, Diego Saravia wrote:

Its boring to run ./configure and receive a message. Install soft-xyz.

you search for that, you install, you go again

another software .....

If you receive all that messages togheter you will install all that
software at once.

I agree it is tiresome not to get all those error messages at once, and therefore I always try to write my configure.ac so configure doesn't exit when a package is missing but just collect that information and keep on searching for the other packages. And then in the end (just before AC_OUTPUT) I print out the missing packages and exit. There is nothing in current Autoconf that prevents you from doing so and if you use third-party macros that AC_MSG_ERROR on failure, you should really ask the maintainer of that macro to provide a MACRO([ACTION-IF-FOUND], [ACTION-IF-NOT-FOUND]) interface.

Cheers,
Peter