Re: zlib

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: zlib
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 19:59:54 +0100

Hello Philip,

* Philip Herron wrote on Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 01:27:32AM CET:
> I am having trouble finding some macro or something for my
> configure.ac to for zlib support. I found this so far:
> http://ac-archive.sourceforge.net/ac-archive/check_zlib.html
> But this simply adds the option AC_ARG_WITH so zlib is optional but my
> work needs zlib now so its a little annoying to always have to
> ./configure --with-zlib...
>
> Not sure if there is a cool trick to simply always turn it on but i am
> sure there is a better setup for this out there since zlib is so
> widely used!

I'm not sure I understand why you are looking for something
zlib-specific at all.  If you need to check for a library, you can use
AC_CHECK_LIB or one of its sister macros, and you can use
AC_CHECK_HEADERS for header files.  Your users can pass CPPFLAGS=-I...
and LDFLAGS=-L... to configure if the files are to be found in
nonstandard locations.  gnulib also has the module havelib to make this
a bit more generic and help with run paths.

Hope that helps.  Otherwise, please be more specific in what doesn't
work for you (show code, specify needed semantics, etc).