Re: Quick divert() 2.13/2.6x portability macro

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: Quick divert() 2.13/2.6x portability macro
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 10:26:58 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009, Eric Blake wrote:

According to Rasmus Lerdorf on 11/28/2009 6:42 AM:
Basically the diversions are there to organize the phases of the checks.
 From
http://svn.php.net/viewvc/php/php-src/branches/PHP_5_3/configure.in?view=markup

## Diversion 1 is the autoconf + automake setup phase. We also
## set the PHP version, deal with platform-specific compile
## options and check for the basic compile tools.

Here's a thought.  I'm not sure whether the divert's were necessary in
autoconf 2.13 (that is so old that it pre-dates my involvement with

2.13 uses diverts for help-messages, etc.

2.5x added more, later as part of duplicating the text with/without the
--enable/--disable stuff.

For more recent changes, one would assume you knew offhand the history.

autoconf, and I have no interest in trying to make it work).  But, on the

that comment doesn't sound as if you looked at 2.13 before answering.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net