Re: How to work around a missing library function?

From: Dr. David Kirkby
Subject: Re: How to work around a missing library function?
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 21:25:54 +0000

Mike Frysinger wrote:
On Wednesday 25 November 2009 13:43:34 Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
Mike Frysinger wrote:
On Wednesday 25 November 2009 12:13:56 Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
I'm reluctant to use this code on every OS, as its not my code, and the
 author might not like that, as this does no error checking. But it
would be good to implement it when atoll() is not in the library.
check out the gnulib project
Thank you Mike, I will do that. I assume that will provide an
 implementation for atoll(). But is the rest of my logic ok?

while your logic looked ok, you dont need to worry about it with gnulib. not only does it provide atoll replacements, but it takes care of the configure tests and enabling it as needed as well. your source code shouldnt need to change -- it can be written to assume atoll exists. it's a pretty badass project.
-mike

A big problem is gnulib is GPL3 - I need to code to be GPL2, so I can not use the library.

The second issue is that I am not totally convinced the person who wrote that code would appreciate all the dependencies of gnublib.

I've suggested I convert his 'Configure' script to one which uses autoconf/automake. I think simplicity is needed here. I can't see him objecting to a few lines of C inserted, but the code in gnulib has various dependencies. It also calls strtoll() which does not exist, so that too would have to be built.

The author of the code does not use autoconf/automake, but said he would my changes as long as he could make changes easily. I'm a bit worried he might just prefer his 'Configure' script anyway, which works well for him.

I would like to avoid having m4 macros, and anything else that makes it more difficult for someone to understand.