Re: ./configure.lineno: fork: Cannot allocate memory

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: ./configure.lineno: fork: Cannot allocate memory
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 21:05:49 +0200

* Pierre wrote on Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 11:56:56PM CEST:
> As adviced, I added "set -x" in the configure script of File-5.03. The
> software versions are those of LFS 6.5
> (http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter03/packages.html)
> :
> - Autoconf-2.64
> - Bash-4.0

Please update bash to the latest patchlevel as per
<http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/bash/bash-4.0-patches/>
and retry.  If the error persists: no need to resend logs,
but please try this out in the chroot:
  expr 426 + 1

I suspect that either bash has a problem with backquoted command
substitution within unquoted here-documents or coreutils' expr is not
working correctly.

You should consider not using LFS if all of this doesn't make sense to
you.  ;-)

Incidentally, the next chapter of the above LFS documentation also lists
a bash patch.  Did you use it?