how to support compilers that cannot create executables?

From: Steffen Dettmer
Subject: how to support compilers that cannot create executables?
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 17:19:46 +0200

Hi,

when compiling libraries, it technically is not required to have a
compiler to create executables. We might have a lib with unit tests
where the unit tests work on linux and windows only, but not on a
small embedded platform. On this platform it might be complicated,
special and non-standard to create actual executables (like linking
firmware images or so).
However, configure usually checks if the compiler can create
executables. Can (should) this be prevented?

Currently, we have some dummy entry code (void *__main = 0; void
*_main = 0;) to make the compiler toolchain to link something (which
is completely useless, but counts as executable).

Are there suggestions/recommendations how to do this better?

Steffen