Re: request for configure clarifications on darwin10

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: request for configure clarifications on darwin10
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 00:06:24 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009, Jack Howarth wrote:

Rainer,
   Well taken. It really wasn't my idea to add that test. Ben wants to
decouple from having a c compiler. I'll mention this issue. Still I
think SL it will be a vast improvement if config.guess properly
reflects the actual code generation and execution of the compiler.

If the user configures using the 64-bit kernel but then decides to reboot using the 32-bit kernel to run a video game, what happens in that event?

It seems to me that altering config.guess output based on whatever kernel the system is using at that instant in time is fraught with peril since it may be inconsistent over a period of time, possibly spanning only minutes. Either the user should be provided with a way to specify the type of code they want, or effort should be made to produce the lowest common demominator by default.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn