Re: AC_CHECK_PROGS and java compiler options

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: AC_CHECK_PROGS and java compiler options
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 00:17:47 +0200

Hi John,

* John Calcote wrote on Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 11:32:42PM CEST:
> In fact, this works very well. When I use $(JAVAC) in my Makefile.am
> files, I do get the correct options passed for the first located
> program - "gcj -C -ftarget=1.4 -fsource=1.4" on my 64-bit linux
> system, and "javac -target 1.4 -source 1.4" on systems with only the
> Sun java compiler installed.
>
> I was just asking if there's a better way to pass different options
> to different commands found by AC_CHECK_PROGS, but in fact, I can't
> really envision anything else that would work better. It just
> /feels/ like the wrong place to do what I'm trying to do.

Can't you just set the options after the AC_CHECK_PROGS call?
I don't know what would be the best way to detect the particular
compiler (name matching is pretty fragile with things like
JAVAC="ccache /opt/bin/gcj-3.4.5 -C" in case ccache supports that)
but --help output or just trying to run it with some of the flags
would seem to be the right thing to me.

Hope that helps.