Cached variables from nested configures

From: dave
Subject: Cached variables from nested configures
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 20:20:20 -0600

Hello;

I am using bash and Fedora;

I tried to remove a variable from a configure.in and after
reconfiguration it seems to come back

Here is an excerpt from configure.in:

if test "$itcl_cv_prog_gcc" = "yes" ; then
    CFLAGS="$CFLAGS  -fwritable-strings -Wshadow -Wtraditional -Wall"
fi

but after I remove

if test "$itcl_cv_prog_gcc" = "yes" ; then
    CFLAGS="$CFLAGS  -Wshadow -Wtraditional -Wall"
fi

and reconfigure it still shows the variable - from config.log:

configure:3516: result: yes
configure:3532: checking default compiler flags
configure:3541: result: -fwritable-strings -Wshadow -Wtraditional -Wall

How do I make sure it is cleared from the nested configure structure?

Thank you,

Dave