Re: Unable to build amhello package from scratch on Debian

From: John Calcote
Subject: Re: Unable to build amhello package from scratch on Debian
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2009 21:39:30 -0600

Hello Abhinav,

On 8/1/2009 9:04 AM, Abhinav Singh wrote:
Hi,

This is my first time with autotools and I tried following:
http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/automake/Creating-amhello.html#Creating-amhello
to get started.

However when I issue the:
*$bash: autoreconf --install*

I get the following error:
configure.ac: 4: `automake requires `AM_CONFIG_HEADER', not
`AC_CONFIG_HEADER'

Use AC_CONFIG_HEADERS, not AC_CONFIG_HEADER.

automake: Makefile.am: required file `./NEWS' not found
automake: Makefile.am: required file `./AUTHORS' not found
automake: Makefile.am: required file `./ChangeLog' not found

Either create empty NEWS, AUTHORS, and ChangeLog files, or else add the 'foreign' option to AM_INIT, e.g., AM_INIT([foreign]). The Autotools were originally designed for GNU projects, and all GNU projects require these text files to exist in the top-level project directory. However, if you give the 'foreign' option to AM_INIT, then Automake will be less picky about things like this.

configure.ac: 4: required file `./[config.h].in' not found

This problem will go away when you fix the AC_CONFIG_HEADERS problem.

Makefile.am:2: invalid variable `dist_doc_DATA'

Look carefully at your top-level Makefile.am file - make sure nothing is misspelled or out of place according to the examples provided in the link.

autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1

is this a OS specific problem? Can someone help me with this?

Not OS specific - just Autotools. Just as with many software tools, as you become more familiar with them, you will begin to understand the nature of these problems.

Good Luck!
John