Autotest: how stable?

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Autotest: how stable?
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 21:19:29 -0700

Autotest seems like a useful test framework.  It is more
complete for my purposes than the simple framework included with
Automake 1.10 (although 1.11 does have a few nice new features),
so I'm thinking about using it in a couple of projects.

However, the warning about Autotest in the Autoconf manual is a
little off-putting:

    This section describes a feature which is still stabilizing.
    Although we believe that Autotest is useful as-is, this
    documentation describes an interface which might change in
    the future: do not depend upon Autotest without subscribing
    to the Autoconf mailing lists.

How concerned should I be in practice about Autotest changes?  Is
there any chance that Autotest might be "frozen" or "stabilized"
soon?
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org