Re: What IDEs support autoconf-based projects ?

From: John Calcote
Subject: Re: What IDEs support autoconf-based projects ?
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 10:42:08 -0600

Hi Peter and Christophe-Marie,

On 7/16/2009 9:28 AM, Christophe-Marie Duquesne wrote:
I wonder if there are actually a lot of programmers who used the
autotools in IDEs and did not came back to classic text editors.

In my experience, there is little need for an IDE when writing C/C++ programs, as the standard library is fairly small. Perhaps an IDE is helpful during early learning stages of these languages, but one quickly becomes familiar with these libraries. Additionally, C/C++ programmers who've reached the point of using the Autotools are probably already beyond the need for such intensive help with the standard library. Man pages usually serve well enough for basic needs here.

Since most Autotools-based projects are written in C/C++, it's unlikely that many programmers working on Autotools-based projects are using IDEs.

I'm sure that as gcj and other GNU tools for Java become popular, more Java development will be done on Autotools-based projects. When that happens, I foresee enhanced desire within the Java freeware community for a well-conceived Eclipse plugin for Autotools projects.

Just my humble opinion.

Regards,
John