Re: What IDEs support autoconf-based projects ?

From: Steffen Dettmer
Subject: Re: What IDEs support autoconf-based projects ?
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 18:29:53 +0200

(OT)

Christophe-Marie Duquesne<address@hidden> wrote:
> I wonder if there are actually a lot of programmers who used the
> autotools in IDEs and did not came back to classic text editors.

We have a few working with Microsoft Visual Studio and have
automake rules for GNU Make (which IMHO is a kind of functional
programming language with many nice features) to generate VC98
".dsw" files (using check_PROGRAMs, $(filter), $patsubst etc).
Similar as with tags in $EDITOR you can navigate (and browse weak
structured software :-)) and debug ("trial and error" :-)).

I like your point "coming back to classic text editors".

Some tell it would be /THE/ evolution from $EDITOR to IDEs like
Eclipse, quickly programming Java. But others then tell /THE/
evolution continues to rapidly programming Rails. Next evolution,
I mean /THE/ evolution, goes to automated unit tests and strong
software structure with simple APIs.

Well, and after all those evolutions in the end they find
themself working with $EDITOR because developing in e.g. Rails
works just best with it :-)

oki,

Steffen