Re: Choosing not to install documentation

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Choosing not to install documentation
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 03:41:03 -0400

   > but isn't it easier to just do `rm -rf /usr/share/doc
   > /usr/share/man' after `make install'?

   And thereby remove installed documentation for hundreds of other,
   unrelated packages?

I was guessing that the OP had a very constraied system where you
would not need it, on any general purpose system not installing
documentation is crippling to users, since they will not have any
means of learning what the program does.

A more general solution for skipping installation of documentation,
would be to modify automake, so that there is a install-without-docs
target; though I am not very fond of that.