Re: Multiple different configured projects in one dir

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Multiple different configured projects in one dir
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 20:10:03 +0200

Hello,

* LCID Fire wrote on Tue, May 26, 2009 at 05:02:37PM CEST:
> I have a autotools build which generates a few binaries - and one being
> a sort of compiler - so I'd probably need to configure this one binary
> with the --target parameter.

So, does your compiler have cross capability, in the sense that e.g.,
the configure script runs on a GNU/Linux system ($build), the created
sort-of-compiler will later run on a Sparc/Solaris system ($host), and
will create code for a Windows system ($target)?

I mean, if you don't know whether you do or don't need --target, then
chances are very high that you *don't* need it.  Sorry to be so blunt.

> My questions are:
> Do I need 2 seperated builds to achieve this or can I change the target
> for one binary in particular.

Since Autoconf has very little code specific for such situations, there
are also very little requirements.  Basically all it provides is a way
to set a canonical string for $target, and to check for tools with a
`$target-' prefix in case --target was passed.  This in itself does not
require separated builds.  However, please look at how GCC does cross
setups.

> When I need 2 builds - is there a way to link them together (to ease
> configuration/compilation)?

Now, this sounds like nonsense to me.  If you really want to do
something like letting the host compiler create the target compiler
or so, then of course they cannot be linked together at all, as they
are intended for completely different platforms.

But I may just be misunderstanding you completely.  How about a more
specific description of what you are trying to do?