Re: improve INSTALL contents

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: improve INSTALL contents
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 15:13:49 +0100

On Sunday 17 May 2009 16:13:19 Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> Several mails in this thread have dealt with the same
> issues twice or more times.  It's as if people ask questions but
> don't read answers, and that is what is very impolite towards
> other people on this mailing list.

Ralf,

I do *not* consider it impolite, to repeat content when it is
patently obvious that it has been overlooked, or ignored, on the
first occasion of posting; however, while I sympathise, and even
share your frustration, since it has become apparent that some of
that repeated content has been willfully ignored, I *do* consider
it impolite that *you* demand termination of the discussion on
these grounds alone.

On the other hand, Alfred, your insolent disregard for the opinions
expressed by others is many orders of magnitude more impolite than
Ralf's request, the more so when the case you try to make is *not*
supported by the GNU Coding Standards, (as Ralf and others have
already brought to your attention, on more than one occasion).

If the autoconf project is to be seen as the custodian of the
INSTALL file, then it must be cognisant of the requirements and
capabilities of *all* systems supported by autoconf, not just the
paltry few you wish to consider; Ralf understands this, and has
opposed the suggested patches, for this reason.

I would never, lightly, take any decision to fork even a single
file.  However, if INSTALL were to be modified as proposed in this
discussion thread, I would be obliged to do exactly that; it would
be completely unacceptable for me to distribute any INSTALL file
which contained the incomplete and misleading information proposed,
along with any package associated with my projects; under Ralf's
stewardship, I think I can be reasonably confident that I will not
need to take any such action.

--

Regards,
Keith.