Problem with AC_CHECK_FUNCS when cross compiling

From: Thies Jochimsen
Subject: Problem with AC_CHECK_FUNCS when cross compiling
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 14:03:20 +0200

Hello everybody,

I have just upgraded to autoconf 2.63 (from 2.61) and I am now struggling with
way the AC_CHECK_FUNCS behaves when cross compiling:
In the past, I have used AC_CHECK_FUNCS to test whether certain functions are
available on the the target host. But with 2.63, the test in AC_CHECK_FUNCS
now, additionally, returns true if $cross_compiling is set to "yes" (which is
always true in my case) and, thus, always declares a HAVE_SOMEFUNCTION,
regardless whether the function is actually available.

I understand that there was a reason for adding the extra check for
$cross_compiling to AC_LINK_IFELSE:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf/2007-03/msg00085.html

Is there a convenient way to check for functions available on the target host,
even when cross compiling?

Best wishes, Thies