Re: RFC: proposed GPLv3 license exception draft

From: Tim Post
Subject: Re: RFC: proposed GPLv3 license exception draft
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 16:03:10 +0800

Hi Ralf,

On Tue, 2009-04-21 at 20:46 +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

> 0. Definitions
>
> "Covered Code" is any source code and/or object code of Autoconf that is a
> covered work under this License.
>
> "Eligible Output Material" is Covered Code that is included in the
> standard, minimally verbose, non-debugging and non-tracing output of the
> version of Autoconf distributed to you under this License.  Moreover,
> "Eligible Output Material" may be comprised only of Covered Code that (a)
> must necessarily appear in Autoconf-generated configure scripts and (b) is
> required for those configure scripts to function.
>
> "Ineligible Output Material" is Covered Code that is not Eligible Output
> Material.

The first two paragraphs (together) were difficult for me to read.

If the first paragraph said "... and/or object code of or generated by
Autoconf", the second paragraph would be easier to read.

This might be particularly true for someone who is new to Autoconf and
unfamiliar with the GPL2 exception, or someone speaking English as a
second language, or both.

> 1. Grant of Additional Permission.

That section reads fine.

> 2. No Weakening of Autoconf Copyleft.

That section reads fine.

IANAL, so I don't know if my suggestion is sound.

Cheers,
--Tim