Re: autoconf, -rpath-link, and CC_FOR_BUILD

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: autoconf, -rpath-link, and CC_FOR_BUILD
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 18:44:55 -0600

According to David Wuertele on 3/19/2009 1:28 PM:

Hello David, and sorry for the delay in responding,

> I'm working on some generalized make rules for cross-compiling autoconf
> packages.  I've got a pretty slick system, but I'm running into a catch-22
> when
> it comes to recursively linked libraries.  I'm looking for advice on how to
> drive autoconf better.

> PATH=/path/too/cross-toolchain/bin:$(PATH) make -C
> /path/to/xorg-server-source \
>   LDFLAGS="-L/path/to/target-root/lib
> -Wl,-rpath-link=/path/to/target-root/lib"
>
> Once I made that my standard make invocation, everything worked really well.
> Until today.  When I tried this on libX11, I ran into CC_FOR_BUILD.
>
> CC_FOR_BUILD is the variable formerly known as "HOST_CC".  This is not the
> cross
> compiler, it is the host's compiler, and it MUST NOT search in
> /path/to/target-root/lib.  So sending -L/path/to/target-root/lib is wrong, and
> -rpath-link=/path/to/target-root/lib is worse.  What I want is a way to send
> just the cross-ld the target path, and not send the host ld the target path.

CC_FOR_BUILD is not an autoconf variable, but one that is typically
supported by packages that need to support Canadian cross builds (such as
gcc).  Since you appear to be using it to try and build an intermediate
program that runs on the build machine, rather than building a final
program running on the target, you are correct that you don't want it
looking at the target's library.  But for any more details on how to make
it all work, you may be better off asking around in the gcc list.  I'm not
familiar enough with building an intermediate app on the build machine to
offer more assistance.

Eric Blake             address@hidden