RE: library search test fails, please help

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: RE: library search test fails, please help
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 15:28:43 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009, aaragon wrote:

Yes, I figured that the weird looking symbol is compiler specific. Then it
also means that I won't be able to use the c++filt command with anything
other than symbols created by the GNU C++ compiler right? I mean, if I
compile the code with the Intel compiler, most likely this function won't
work.

Right. In fact, it is likely that even the GNU C++ compiler has altered its obfustication strategy several times due to ABI changes.

The fact that there is no macro for C++ functions indicate that either a)
people do not use autotools when working with with C++ programs; b) they do,
but they are very good writing m4 macros for testing C++ code, macros that
are not published anywhere in the web; c) the developers of autotools do not
write C++ code and they don't care about implementing a macro to test for
them. As for me, I'm just a user, and it would be very difficult to
implement a macro to do these tests. Even if I come up with a test, it might
be very nasty.

Most C++ is based on C++ classes, class methods, and templates, rather than "functions". C style functions in C++ is a bit unusual. Also it is quite common for C++ code to not compile or link without including library-specific headers, and multiple headers may be required, ordered in a particular way. This makes C++ features much more difficult to test in a generic way.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn