Re: running tests when cross-compiling

From: Erik de Castro Lopo
Subject: Re: running tests when cross-compiling
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 08:03:15 +1100

Vadim Zeitlin wrote:

>  Configure is smart enough to not try to run the tests when cross-compiling

It does? I thought these tests just failed.

> which is usually, of course, the right thing to do. However in some
> situations you can actually run the program even when cross-compiling: the
> example which matters to me is when you cross-compile from Cygwin to
> mingw32 but I could imagine that this could happen in some other situations
> too, e.g. when you have an emulator for the target host on the build system
> (this could happen when developing for embedded systems I suppose).

I cross compile from i686 Linux to Mingw all the time and my (quite
comprehensive) test suite runs quiote happily under Wine.

> Hence my question: is it possible to somehow indicate to configure that it
> can run the binaries even when it's (formally) cross-compiling?

I think you need to investigate why its failing more carefully.

Erik
Erik de Castro Lopo
"Therapists typically base the nuttiness of a patient on the
strength of their convictions, on which basis this 43,000 word
opus alone stands as a kind of testament to Bill's (Gates)
madness." - The Register