Re: including autoconf paths in source

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: including autoconf paths in source
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 06:22:00 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

On Thursday 2008-12-11 21:38, Monty Taylor wrote:

Hey all,

I'm wondering if there is a best practice for getting paths such as
locaeldir or datadir into source code. As it stands now in the Makefile
I've got:

prefix= /usr/local
datarootdir= ${prefix}/share
localedir = ${datarootdir}/locale

To get localedir into a source file, I've got a section in Makefile.am like:

DEFS = -DLOCALEDIR="\"$(localedir)\"" @DEFS@

This is the preferred solution indeed. Not that I see a need for @DEFS@
though:

One of the problems with the "preferred solution" is that it's not trivial
to pass the flags through a script (for example, a wrapper for a compiler, or test-application). Putting them in the generated config.h
doesn't run into that problem.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net