Re: Detailed structure checks

From: Tim Post
Subject: Re: Detailed structure checks
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 17:03:29 +0800

On Sat, 2008-11-29 at 09:39 +0100, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

> Best would probably be something that generates automatically from the
> manual or the m4 source files, so that keeping it up to date doesn't
> involve remembering another location.  Hmm, the indices like
> <http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/html_node/Autoconf-Macro-Index.html>
> are probably only a bit short (and making their entries a lot longer
> looks a bit ugly in the info output).  But either improving them, or
> adding another texinfo index with more detail, could be a possibility.
>
> As to the alternative, tests/Makefile.am already uses tests/mktests.sh
> to extract a good portion of the public macros.  You could use that as
> a starting point.

Doygen would also work and provide a convenient search interface.
However, this would mean going through every macro and commenting it in
a way that Doxygen understands :(

My first starting point is usually half a dozen greps
of /usr/share/autoconf/autoconf when I'm trying to see if a macro exists
that does what I need. If I find one, then its off to see if its
depreciated (or going to be).

I have a little free time (soon) to spare .. so if a plan emerges to
make the macros search-able I am very willing to help complete the
mundane tasks involved. This list has been very helpful and friendly, so
I'm happy to do so.

Cheers,
--Tim