autoconf/configure.ac quoting help

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: autoconf/configure.ac quoting help
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 23:42:38 +0000

There's a 4300 line configure.ac script I've been hacking on for Years.

I'm pretty sure that while it works, or seems to, there are places
things are not being properly quoted.

I have generally left it alone, as "it just worked".  Yesterday I tried
to copy a fragment of the big beast into a subdir configure.ac and it
looks like the resulting confgure script has a hunk of AC_CHECK_HEADERS
output in it in a way that it causes configure to abort.

I'm guessing this is a quoting problem.

One downside of cleaning this beast up is that it is so big - it takes a
"significant" amount of time to run autoconf on the beast, and then
another "significant" amount of time to run the resulting 'configure'
script and make sure it did the right thing.

Anybody have any suggestions on how I can do this as quickly and
painlessly as possible?

--
Harlan Stenn <address@hidden>
http://ntpforum.isc.org  - be a member!