RE: [autoconf 2.63] 95 of 353 tests fail

From: Howard Larson
Subject: RE: [autoconf 2.63] 95 of 353 tests fail
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 20:29:59 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralf Wildenhues [mailto:address@hidden
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 16:08
To: Howard Larson
Cc: address@hidden

Hello Howard,

Thanks for the report.  Please, if possible, do not start new threads
for messages to the same topic.  Thanks.

* Howard Larson wrote on Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 06:25:01PM CEST:

> Obviously something is broken.  Need advice on next course of action; tear
> down the entire system and start from scratch?

First, I would never recommend tearing down an entire system.  You
change so many things that it will be impossible to find out what
caused, or fixed, a bug.

In this case, most test failures (I didn't check them all) are caused
by leftover conftest.obj files in the build tree.  In itself that is
probably an Autoconf bug; while the test
| checking for suffix of object files... (cached) obj

detects the correct extension, the files are either produced in link
tests by cl.exe when configure doesn't expect them, or something else
is amiss.

Anyway, you can try to run the testsuite using gcc (simply install it
somewhere in your $PATH), or try to debug one simple configure file
in one testsuite.dir/*/ directory of a failed test (add 'set -x' to the
script and run it), to see where it fails to clean up after cl.exe.

Thanks,

I shall look for conftest.obj although I do not understand why that would be
present as this is the first run of make check.   Also, isn't gcc part of
the MinGW package?

--Howard Larson
mailto:address@hidden